Red Bull: the ultimate media brand
The digital world precipitated advertisers in the media brand era. If there is a brand that has quickly understood the issues and mastered the codes, that brand is Red Bull.
A reminder: media brand characteristics
As you may know, a media brand is characterized by three main elements:
- An editorial strategy.
- Content with high added value to a target audience.
- A publishing broadcast ecosystem.
On its official website, Red Bull does not put forward its products, promotions, and financial results. In the manner of a specialized media outlet, the brand highlights the latest “energizing” activities with which it is involved: extreme sports, alternative music, and, more recently, electronic sports (eSports). In other words, Red Bull promotes — and promises — adrenaline to sell energy better.
Whether text, sound or image, the content published by the brand invariably enjoys an exceptional quality of realization with a high virality potential. Examples are the famous The Athlete Machine clip or different seasons of the Red Bull Signature Series.
Above all, the Austrian brand has developed a real digital (omni) presence due to:
… the ultimate media brand
In fact, the company goes way beyond the borders of a media brand to be, all at the same time:
- A “lifestyle” brand that is part of the daily lives of its consumers — and critics — thanks to repeated street marketing operations such as the famous “Can Cars.”
- An event brand that organizes its own sporting events, like the Red Bull Air Race, and that has its own high-level athletic teams, such as the Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team or the New York Red Bulls soccer team.
- A performance brand, able to gather the “whole planet” — more than 8 million viewers watching live on YouTube Live — during the broadcast of the Red Bull Stratos mission, which allowed Felix Baumgartner to be the first man to cross the sound barrier in a free fall.
High profile content, a perfect mastery of the digital world, and continuous investment on the brand: this is the recipe that makes Red Bull a media brand, if not a media empire.